Glasgow Queen Street Station
Redevelopment - latest updates
The Passenger Assistance Desk as been re-located to the east side of the station, just next to the North Hanover Street entrance to the High Level and below the arrival/departure Customer Information Screens. The Passenger Assistance Desk will now remain at this location until the work to platforms 2 and 3 completes on the 29th July 2019. If you want someone to guide you through the station during the redevelopment, call 0800 912 2901 and ask for travel asistance.
Published Friday, 14th June 2019: as part of the redevelopment work engineers are about to begin activity to extend the length of platforms 2 and 3 so that longer trains can use these platforms.
Please be aware that, the hoardings located on the concourse end of platform 2 (at the West George Street side of the station) that were moved in May, have been moved back to their previous position.
From 17th to 30th June
The team will be working at the front of platforms 2 and 3 to uncover space beneath the concourse to enable 26 metre extensions to platforms 2 and 3. This means that:
- A small island area within the concourse to the buffer end of platforms 2 and 3 will be cordoned off to allow this work to take place.
- A section of the gate line to the front of platforms 2 and 3 only, will be removed during this work.
- During this phase, additional access will be provided to the ‘Low Level’ station and Platform 1 via the Dundas Street side of the station; (entering the station through the tunnel at Dundas Street and then turning left to take stairs to the ‘Low Level’.
- Entry to the ‘Low Level’ will remain unchanged at North Hanover Street and also from North Hanover Street into the main station, where passengers will cross the concourse area and use the additional access on the Dundas Street side of the station.
From 23rd June
The male, female and disabled toilets and station waiting room will move from their current location at the east side of the station, to a location within the former North Hanover Street car park area.
On 30th June
The lost property and left luggage office with also relocate to North Hanover Street, where, along with the toilet facilities and waiting room, they will remain until the overall completion of the station redevelopment in spring next year.
From 30th June to 29th July
Platforms 2 and 3 will be out of use as our engineers focus on completing the platform extensions.
From this point access to platforms 8 and 9 and platform 1 will be via the Dundas Street entrance - again, entering the station from here through the tunnel at Dundas Street and then turning left to take stairs to the Lower Level. Throughout the works access for wheelchair users will not be impacted, as the lift to the Lower Level from platform 7 will remain in use throughout.
The majority of train services into the 'High Level' at Queen Street station will be unaffected during the month-long closure. However, there will be alterations to several, including:
- Glasgow Queen Street to Anniesland;
- Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh via Cumbernauld & Falkirk Grahamston;
- Glasgow Queen Street to Aberdeen;
- Glasgow Queen Street to Inverness.
Full details of the changes to services during the closure can be found on Scot Rail's Glasgow Queen Street Redevelopment page and also via the ScotRail app.
For the latest information on Glasgow Queen Street station's redevelopment you can follow NetworkRail on twitter @NetworkRailGQS. You can also contact their 24 hour Helpline on 03457 11 41 41 or drop them a line on: www.networkrail.co.uk/contactus or email the project team directly at GlasgowQueenStreet@networkrail.co.uk.
- Edinburgh - Helensburgh Central
- Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa
- Glasgow Queen Street - Anniesland
- Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh via Falkirk High
- Glasgow Queen Street - Falkirk Grahamston
- Glasgow Queen Street - Mallaig
About the Station
We Want to Hear from you
This guide has been updated with help of Network Rail, to whom we extend our sincere thanks.